Yes, I am the Baba, and yet, through the magic of global telecommunications, I now find that there are other Babas out there. Fear not, for I would not deny Baba-ness to any existing being in my great and vast Universe. Here is a short survey of some of the other Babas and Baba-related things that have found their way onto the Internets.
The all-knowing Wikipedia has its own list of the meanings of Baba.
While the Baba is certianly a religion in its own right, the calling has also manifested in Meher Baba, Avatar of the Age and Shri Sai Baba.
If you're traveling, you might want to stop by Laghar Baba or Sahi Baba in Afganistan.
Of course we all remember Ali Baba and the forty thieves. Sesame.
Then we've got Rhum Baba Cakes, and of course Baba Ganoush.
There's a nice-looking line of sailboats called Babas.
I'll let the British Artist Blacksmiths Association use the acronym BABA because, well, blacksmiths are cool.
I hear there's a BABA coffee shop in Amsterdam.
Linguistically there is some good Baba to go around:
- baba generally means "father" in many languages, including Hindi, Albanian, Udru and Syriac
- baba in French, from Polish can mean literally, old woman
- in Spanish baba means drivel, drool, mucus, slobber or spittle
- In Hindi baba -
Father; grandfather; old man, sir, sire (respectfully);
also a sanyasi, a faqir;
the head of the order of monks called Calendars or Qalandar;
a form of address used by beggars in addressing the master of a house, and vice versa;
(amongst native servants of European masters), child, children: -- baba-jan, Father dear! dear child!: baba-log, s.m. Children.
It seems that "baba" also is a many-storied slang term, including:
- French: baba and baba cool for "hippie" and also "falling over or dizzy"
- Japanese: baba-shatsu for a type of women's underwear
- British: baba for feces or to defecate
- Drug culture: Baba Ku - Legendary central Asian figure to whom it is attributed the introduction of hashish
- Russian: baba for woman
- Ali Baba is British for an alibi, but more recently used as a racial slur, sometimes as a generic term for arabic or Isalmic people, or more specifically to mean "thief," a reference to Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.
- The Federal Government College Odogbolu (FEGO), a high school in Odogbolu, Nigeria has some local baba slang, including Baba Dracula, Baba Leader and Baba Tanker